Pages

Hello

Hello and welcome to my Little Willow blog, well welcome to those who might stumble across it anyway as I have yet to give this address to anyone :) I thought I might try and see how I get along with just writing in it first. It's all a lot of random stuff, but hey, hopefully there'll be something interesting for people

Monday 17 January 2011

Word Usage Error - Moneysupermarket.com

Another one? So quickly? I know I know, it's terrible - all these errors cropping up!

This time the culprit is an email from Moneysupermarket.com that I received today:

"Millions of people are facing pay freezes this year. If your one of them there are things you can do to give yourself a pay rise and boost your net income by more than £5000. Read on to find out more..."

This is another case of bad English - the second sentence reads "If your one of them" when in fact it should read "If you're one of them". This one is such a simple mistake though and all it takes is a little thought to get it right. If you read the sentence out loud and it could read 'you are' then it's always 'you're'.

I am definitely beginning to believe that all the people who would normally check emails/advertisements etc, to be sent out to the public, have disappeared off the face of the Earth! Either that or I am just beginning to notice it more and more now I have started this section on the blog...who knows? While it provides material for me, I'm happy :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your word usage errors. I agree with you, where have all the proofreaders gone?! Keep them coming anyway. I find it amusing and interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's the one I always spot (well, I might not, I might miss it 98% of the time and just not realise! but I feel I see it a lot). Well done though missus, are you actually letting these people know that they are grammatically challenged? Or just highlighting their linguistic failings for our pleasure and amusement? :p xxx

    ReplyDelete