Pages

Hello

Hello and welcome to my Little Willow blog, well welcome to those who might stumble across it anyway as I have yet to give this address to anyone :) I thought I might try and see how I get along with just writing in it first. It's all a lot of random stuff, but hey, hopefully there'll be something interesting for people

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Cake Decorating Class - my 100th post!!!

Hello all and welcome to my 100th post. I can't believe I finally reached it - this time last year it seemed so far away; well in fact I don't think I'd even managed to get back into writing on the blog, but anyway, here we are now. So Happy 100th post to my Blog :-)

The honour of being part of this celebration goes to my cake decorating class which I started last night at Halewood Centre for Learning. The course is every Tuesday from 5pm-7pm. This first week was just an induction - so lots of paperwork to fill in etc and lots of talking about what we wanted to learn over the course of the next 10 weeks. I have to say I wish I'd discovered this course earlier as everyone else there has been attending since September and although you can join at any term, they do start off with the basics in September and build on that throughout the year (people tend to stay in the beginner's class for a year before moving to the advanced class). But I'm hoping I'll be able to pick stuff up, although the other students seemed so far ahead and the pictures of what they managed to do last term are amazing, especially after such a short time of learning.

Seeing the list of cakes/techniques everyone wanted to learn, it would seem as though we're going to need 10 years to get through it all, never mind 10 weeks. I feel it could be very intense! But some great ideas in there including a wedding cake, a christening cake (my suggestion), a communion cake, valentine's theme, Easter theme, Mother's Day theme, novelty cakes, cupcakes and many more!

Next week we're starting off with 'brush embroidery', a technique I'd never heard of until last night but which I dutifully googled today and discovered that it's designs made out of royal icing that go on top of an iced cake and have an almost lace-like effect. I will post a picture here - please be advised this is NOT my work! Actually on second thoughts, I may well leave alone as many of the pictures seem to be subject to copyright! But click here for some examples...

Anyway please keep your fingers crossed for me that I'll be able to pick it up ok and not make a mess of it all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment