Pages

Hello

Hello and welcome to my Little Willow blog, well welcome to those who might stumble across it anyway as I have yet to give this address to anyone :) I thought I might try and see how I get along with just writing in it first. It's all a lot of random stuff, but hey, hopefully there'll be something interesting for people

Monday 17 January 2011

Baking Review - Marshmallow cupcakes

My good friend and work colleague Sophie left the office on Friday, leaving us for pastures new to spend a year in Australia! In honour of this heart wrenching event I decided to make her some marshmallow cupcakes as these have been her favourite in the past, albeit not made by me, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. I took the recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.

Ingredients


120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
45g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk (I use semi-skimmed)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 medium pink marshmallows
200g mini marshmallows, for the frosting
1 quantity Vanilla frosting (see later)
edible glitter to decorate (optional)

a 12 hole cupcake tray lined with paper cases - makes 12 (only made 8 for me!)

Method

Preheat the oven to 170C (325F) Gas 3

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.

Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.

Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Put the medium marshmallows in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave until melted and smooth. When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one and fill with a dollop of marshmallow. Leave to cool. (Although it doesn't say so here, I did put the top back on top of the dollop of marshmallow).

Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:

250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
25ml whole milk (I use semi skimmed)
a couple of drops of vanilla extract

Method

Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is fluffy and light, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.

Now stir in the mini marshmallows by hand until evenly dispersed. Spoon the frosting on top of the cupcakes and decorate with edible glitter.

I can't personally comment on how the cakes tasted as I don't like marshmallow, but one comment I did hear today (well read today) was as follows - and I quote (literally copied and pasted): Anyway, speaking of marshmallow cupcakes, I must pass on Lydia’s gratitude and awe at your baking skills. She was AMAZED by the cupcake! I gave it to her that evening and she had a good look at it and was delighted by its appearance, but then she forgot about it til the next morning when she ate it for breakfast. She was literally writhing around in pleasure as she ate it! She was astounded at the marshmallow bit inside it, like she was looking at a small, inexplicable miracle. To cut it short, she loved it, thoroughly loved it! Then she was all like “how come you never make cakes like this?” haha! So basically it went down very well and she said to say thanks. 
 Granted Mel does have a wonderfully witty way of writing things but I'm just glad it was enjoyed :-) and I must point out that Mel can bake amazingly well and all her baked goodies are awesome :-D

















I also made some chocolate cupcakes, as you can see above and I think I'm starting to get better with the frosting :-)

2 comments:

  1. You're amazing with the frosting, you are an inspiration :D (I love the Bye Soph one :D ) I will definitely be giving the marshmallow ones a go xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an honour to be quoted on your blog! Especially one about exquisite cupcakes! Nice pics :)

    ReplyDelete