Pages

Hello

Hello and welcome to my Little Willow blog, well welcome to those who might stumble across it anyway as I have yet to give this address to anyone :) I thought I might try and see how I get along with just writing in it first. It's all a lot of random stuff, but hey, hopefully there'll be something interesting for people

Monday 22 March 2010

The Hunger Games

Yesterday I sat down and started this book and could not put it down until I had finished all 450 (or so) pages of it! It was brilliant.

The book is written by Suzanne Collins and is the first in a trilogy (which I had no idea about until I got to the end, which is quite frustrating as I now want the other 2 books!).

The book is set in a dystopian US, which had been divided into the Capitol and 13 districts, until Disctrict 13 was obliterated, leaving 12. The story follows 16 year old Katniss who resides in Disctrict 12 and starts on Reaping Day. Reaping Day is the day when one boy and one girl is chosen from each district to play the Hunger Games, a brutal "game" the state puts on where the players are put into an arena of the state's choosing and are forced to fight to the death, with only one survivor, the winner.

Katniss' little sister Primrose is the girl chosen for their District, but Katniss volunteers in her place, to keep her sister safe. The games are watched by all Districts and the Capitol and a big fuss is made of it all, to the point where there are opening ceremonies and interviews etc, all designed to show everyone who the players are and this allows betting to take place, but also sponsors to cmoe forward for each child.

The story follows through to the end of the games and reaches a conclusion in itself, with no major cliffhanger that makes you feel like you have to buy the next book that second to continue on with it, which is good, but it still leaves you wanting more.

I won't say any more about the book as I don't want to spoil it, but if you get the chance to read it then I suggest you take it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment