Pages

Hello

Hello and welcome to my Little Willow blog, well welcome to those who might stumble across it anyway as I have yet to give this address to anyone :) I thought I might try and see how I get along with just writing in it first. It's all a lot of random stuff, but hey, hopefully there'll be something interesting for people

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Children in Need

Pudsey cake
How the year flies by! Children in Need was upon us once again last Friday (19th November). Myself and my colleague Sara decided to organise a few things to do in work to help raise money for this worthy cause.

We planned and executed a huge cake sale - with any cake you could imagine, including cupcakes, cake slices, biscuits and cookies. Everything looked fabulous and the vast majority of cakes were homemade by some lovely volunteers, ourselves included. We also held a 'Name the Teddy' competition (Edward), had a tombola and held a raffle for 2 beautiful pudsey cakes made by another colleagues mum who is a professional cake maker.

Victoria Sponge Cake
I took last Thursday off work to spend the day baking (well half a day) as I had planned to do so many things and pretty much spent at least 7 solid hours baking, frosting and decorating! I made a victoria sponge cake, carrot cake cupcakes, sugar cookies (in many different shapes), chocolate chip cookies, fairy sponge cakes (decorated Pudsey stle with yellow icing and hundreds and thousands) and a couple of "cheat" Betty Crocker boxed cupcakes. So as you can see, I had my work cut out for me! My mum was a huge help -she made all the boxed cakes for me while I got on with the "proper recipe" cakes. I had a fun day making everything though.

Vampire Hayley and Punisher Rob
Some of the team also dressed up for the occasion - some using the open theme and coming as anything and others wearing red and blue, or wearing a Pudsey t-shirt and Pudsey ears. We had a vampire, The Punisher, a musketeer, a goth and an Egyptian, so quite an array of interesting costumes.
Egyptian costume

I really enjoyed getting into the mood of Children in Need and selling the cakes and to top it all off we made an astonishing total of £655.08!!! £100 of this was a very generous donation by one person. Who'd have thought so much could be made by selling cakes??

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
Cake Sale
To give you an idea of what we sold, in addition to the above mentioned cakes I made we also had - apple muffins, chocolate fudge brownies, pumpkin muffins, marble muffins, strawberry muffins, chocolate muffins, red velvet cupcakes, chocolate fudge cake, lemon drizzle cake, Tom and Jerry cakes, Christmas Princess cakes, Magic Wand cakes, blueberry cake, jam cake, Shrewsbury biscuits, crunchie cupcakes, fruit cake, gingerbread men, chocolate gingerbread cake, victoria sponge cupcakes. I'm sure there are more that have slipped my mind-  but can you blame me after seeing that list?
Pudsey's Little Helpers


Tombola Prizes
Cakes!





More Cakes!



Sugar Cookies
Last hug of Edward the Teddy






More yummy sugar cookies
Selection of cakes


I hope you all had a good Children in Need day - I think it'd be best if we started organising next year's event now!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Very impressive indeed, lady! I really wish I'd put something on top of the red velvet cakes now, having seen all the wonderfully pretty ones everyone else made, oh well you live and learn! I shall try harder for you next year ;) Also, very well done with the amount raised! xxx

    ReplyDelete