Pages

Hello

Hello and welcome to my Little Willow blog, well welcome to those who might stumble across it anyway as I have yet to give this address to anyone :) I thought I might try and see how I get along with just writing in it first. It's all a lot of random stuff, but hey, hopefully there'll be something interesting for people

Monday 8 November 2010

Chapters

Oooh 2 posts in one day, aren't you all lucky? :p

I had a sudden moment of realisation at the weekend when thinking about my Nano story and that was "chapters". Because I have written very little and those stories I have started, haven't got very far off the ground yet, it occurred to me that I don't actually know how to write a chapter - as in, where do I make the break and the end of a chapter generally has to conclude with either a moment of realisation, a moment of dread or a shock, generally speaking anyway. I realised that with my Nano story, I have just been writing away and I then thought what will I end the chapter with and is there an average length to a chapter? I personally prefer reading a book with quite short chapters so I will probably go with that.

As I didn't have much time before Nano to construct a plot or even much of an outline, I didn't consider what would happen chapter by chapter, but i can now see that this would be a useful thing to do and I can understand why writer's do this. Maybe I will try and do something like this tonight? From what I have written so far, I believe I am coming to the end of a chapter. I also can't imagine how many paperbak pages my story so far would have taken up and whether I am actually as near to the end of the chapter as I thought. does anyone have any idea about how many words are per paperback book page? If not, I'll just count one lol

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem!I haven't dared to put in chapters either because I don't know where they would be in paperback what if one chapter is 2 pages long and another is 20!If you ever find out please let me know!

    ReplyDelete